According to the Insurance Information Institute, 35,200 people died as a result of car accident injuries in 2015. The sudden, unexpected death of a loved one in a car accident can be a shocking blow to a family. Bringing forward a wrongful death claim can help families recover damages and obtain justice. Here’s what you need to know about bringing forward a car accident wrongful death claim.
What Causes Car Accident Fatalities?
There are many causes of car accident fatalities, but the most common include:
- Drunk driving
- Reckless driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Driving fatigued
- Distracted driving, such as texting and driving
- Drivers who are inexperienced, or elderly drivers who can no longer see well or respond quickly
- Car defects
- Defects in the roadway
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Car Accident Deaths?
After someone has died in a car accident, it’s critical that a thorough investigation takes place. An investigation will reveal who may have been at fault for the accident and if there is more than one at fault party.
A responsible party could be:
- The other driver
- A bartender who serves a clearly intoxicated individual or allows them to drive knowing they are intoxicated
- A trucking company that allows their drivers to violate safety laws that require truck drivers to only operate a certain number of hours in a row
- Car manufacturers
- Mechanics and/or tire sales facilities
- The city or state in cases of roadway defects
Bringing Forward a Claim
If your loved one passed away as the result of a car accident and you believe it was a wrongful death, you may be able to obtain compensation for medical expenses, vehicle damage, funeral expenses, lost wages, and more. However, you will need an experienced wrongful death lawyer to help you prove your case, since the burden of proof is on the plaintiff.
Contact the Sarkisian Law Offices Today
At the Sarkisian Law Offices, we understand how difficult it is to lose a loved one suddenly in a car accident. If you were also injured in the collision, we can help you recover damages for your injuries, pain, and suffering. Our skilled car accident lawyers will investigate every facet of your case and build a strong foundation to help you get justice for your loved one and hold those responsible for their untimely death accountable for their negligence or carelessness. Call today for a consultation at (219) 942-7171.