Slip and fall injuries are common, and most of the time they result in little more than a few bumps and bruises. However, some slip and fall accidents can be more serious, especially in cases where elderly individuals have fallen.
Here are the common causes of slip and fall injuries, and what to do if you or a loved one were injured in a slip and fall accident.
Causes of Slip & Fall Injuries
Slip and fall accidents can occur seemingly out of nowhere. The most frequent situations that result in a slip and fall accident include but are not limited to:
- Spills inside a public establishment, like a grocery store or restaurant
- Uneven flooring, such as broken tiles
- Ice and snow outside a public establishment that has not been removed in a timely fashion
- Uneven parking lots, such as parking lots with broken asphalt and potholes
- Improper lighting in a public establishment that causes patrons to be unable to see where they are walking
- Uneven walkways, such as broken pavement
- Objects being left out in the walkway at work, such as boxes in an office hallway
- Poorly maintained stairs, such as stairways without safety handrails or broken steps
Slip and fall accidents can cause serious injuries for many individuals, including broken bones, head injuries, lacerations, bruising, concussions, and more.
What to Do If You or a Loved One Have Been Injured
If you or a loved one have been involved in a slip and fall accident, it is important that you seek medical assistance right away. Even if you feel fine, it is important to get checked out, especially if you hit your head in any way. Once you are evaluated for injuries, obtain documentation from your doctor or hospital where treatment occurred.
Be aware of any odd symptoms you have in the following days and weeks after the accident. Many times, serious injuries take time to manifest symptoms.
In some cases, a brain injury causes only mild symptoms like headaches and fatigue. In this case, consider erring on the side of caution and get yourself fully evaluated for any injuries that may be related to the accident.
Once your medical condition is stable, consider reaching out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. An attorney can help you determine if you may have a legitimate case, and if you could possibly be eligible for compensation for your injuries.
At the Sarkisian Law Offices, we understand how devastating a slip and fall accident can be for a family, and we are committed to providing you with comprehensive, aggressive legal assistance. Call our office today to schedule a consultation to discuss your case at (219) 942-7171 or (219) 477-3998.