Indiana Motorcycle Accident Lawyers serving Merrillville & Valparaiso
The personal injury attorneys at Sarkisian Law Offices serve clients in Lake County & Porter County
Been Injured In A Motorcycle Wreck? Our Attorneys Will Fight To Recover The Compensation You Deserve
There are many pleasures in riding motorcycles — the adventure, beautiful scenery, the thrill and freedom of being out on the open road. Unfortunately, there are many dangers as well. Bikers are exposed to the elements and don’t have the same safety protections as drivers of motor vehicles have. As a consequence, bikers are at a higher risk of getting seriously injured, even killed.
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a motorcycle wreck resulting from another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. If your loved one has passed away in a motorcycle accident, don’t hesitate to reach out to a wrongful death lawyer in Lake County.
At the Sarkisian Law offices, we advocate for the rights of motorcyclists throughout Northwestern Indiana and pride ourselves on our aggressive approach in handling accident claims.
Give us a call today for a Free consultation to determine the extent of your claim. If we take on your case, you can expect compassionate support and top-notch legal expertise. Lake County: (219) 942-7171; Porter County: (219) 477-3998
The legal dynamics involved in a motorcycle accident are much different than in a car crash. Our skilled team of motorcycle accident attorneys understands the complexities involved with Indiana’s motorcycle laws and are fully prepared to deal with difficult insurance companies.
Our goal at Sarkisian Law is to help you obtain the highest cash settlement available under the law. You and your family have been through enough trauma. Let us settle your claim so you can heal.
We don’t get paid unless you get paid
Building A Strong Case
The sooner you get us involved with your case, the quicker we can begin building the strongest claim possible on your behalf. A prompt liability investigation is crucial in order to establish how and why the accident happened and who is responsible for it.
Crucial evidence needs to be documented before it’s lost and destroyed; witnesses need to be interviewed before they forget important details; and a reconstruction expert needs to evaluate the accident scene to determine cause.
As your legal representation, we can:
- Collect scene and accident reports
- Gather photographic evidence
- Speak to witnesses
- Review medical records
- Consult experts
- Contact insurance companies
Were You A Victim of Negligence?
Motorcycle crashes can occur for any number of reasons, but the majority of accidents usually occur due to another driver’s negligent or inattentive driving. In fact, studies have shown that 70% of the time, the accident is not the fault of the biker.
To prevail in a negligence lawsuit, we would need to prove that the alleged negligent
driver did not exercise a standard of reasonable care on the road and it was because of this breach in care that cause the accident and subsequent injuries.
Negligent acts that may cause an accident include:
- Failure to check rearview and side mirrors
- Turning in front of the motorcycle at an intersection
- Passing the biker without giving enough room
- Tailgating the motorcycle
- Backing out of a driveway into the path of the motorcycle
- Swerving in front of the biker
- Failure to follow posted speed limits
- Failure to yield when appropriate
- Failure to see a motorcyclist changing or entering lanes
- Neglecting to pay appropriate attention to other drivers on the road
- Driving under the influence
In some instances, a mechanical defect may cause a motorcycle to crash. If you experience injuries as a result of a defect, the manufacturer of the bike may be held liable for losses you incurred.
Product defects that may result in compensation include:
- Mechanical and/or tire defect,
- Improper design
- Brake or gear shift defects
To be successful in a product liability case, we would need to prove:
- The defective motorcycle or part was “unreasonably dangerous”
- The motorcycle was being operated as intended at the time of the accident
- The motorcycle’s performance had not changed since its initial purchase
Putting Pressure On The Insurance Company
The goal of the insurance company in any motorcycle accident case is to pay as little as possible to the victim so that more money ends up in their own pockets. Insurance companies will try to employ a variety of unfair tactics to avoid paying you what you deserve. They may even try to capitalize on the public’s perception of bikers as lawless and reckless daredevils. At Sarkisian Law, we don’t allow our clients to be disrespected this way.
If you receive calls from an insurance adjuster after your accident, they are most likely trying to obtain a recorded statement from you. Do NOT speak to them or sign anything until you have consulted with the attorneys at Sarkisian Law. They are trained to ask questions that will elicit responses from you to be used against you later.
Let us deal with the insurance company. We will negotiate with their adjusters and attorneys and make sure you receive the medical treatment and compensation you need to fully recover from your injuries and move on with your life.
If we are unable to reach a satisfactory settlement offer, we will not hesitate to take your case to trial and litigate the matter in court.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered?
Our skilled attorneys will pursue all avenues to help you recover the compensation you deserve, including participating in tough negotiations and/or litigation with the insurance company or negligent party.
If you have been injured through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to:
- Past and future medical wages
- Past and future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Cost to repair or replace the motorcycle
- Punitive damages/malicious conduct
Motorcycle Insurance Coverage in Indiana
Once liability for the crash has been determined and the damages have been assessed, we will review your available insurance coverage. In the state of Indiana, all motorists are required to have bodily injury and property damage liability coverage; uninsured (UM) motorist coverage; and underinsured (UIM) coverage.
- Bodily injury and property damage liability – pays for damages you cause in a crash. If an auto driver caused your crash, you would initially turn to that driver’s liability insurance.
- Underinsured motorist coverage (UIM) – You can turn to this coverage if the at-fault driver does not have enough liability insurance to fairly compensate you.
- $25,000 bodily injury coverage for one person in a single accident
- $50,000 bodily injury coverage total in a single accident for more than 1 person
- $10,000 property damage coverage.
- Uninsured motorist coverage (UM) – This is another form of coverage that you have the option to buy. In fact, you should have UM coverage unless you have rejected it in writing. This coverage kicks in if the at-fault driver has no insurance at all.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, chances are you have endured catastrophic injuries that require extensive and costly medical treatment. The reality is, the stakes are higher for motorcycle riders than drivers of motor vehicles.
As a motorcycle rider, you are more vulnerable sustaining a serious or life-threatening injury because you don’t have have the protection of safety mechanisms like seat belts and airbags. You are also susceptible to drivers who are not alert to the presence of motorcycles on the road.
- Road rash,
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Wrongful death
Do not take chances with your health or well-being. Contact a motorcycle personal injury attorney at Sarkisian Law Offices to determine the best options for you.
Call Sarkisian Law today at (219) 942-7171 or (219) 477-3998 for a free consultation to discuss your case